Tips to Keeping Your Storage Unit Clean and Pest Free
While A-1 Self Storage keeps all of its facilities clean, there are steps that you as a tenant can take to add extra protection to for their belongings. Follow these easy steps to make sure that the items in your storage unit stay clean and pest free. Aside from the steps below we offer some added features such as climate controlled units to keep moisture out. For more information on our storage facility features visit our website and find a store nearest you!
- Vacuum: Make sure to thoroughly vacuum all upholstered furniture, such as couches and chairs. While you may not be able to see any crumbs, all it takes is one crumb to attract pests.
- Baits & Traps: Place dryer sheets in the corners of your unit and in the boxes. The odor will dissuade pets from entering your unit and keep your items smelling fresh as well. For the best results, replace the dryer sheets once a month.
- Canvas Drop Cloths: Tape canvas drop cloths to the floors and walls before loading your storage unit. Canvas is much more efficient than plastic at keeping the pests out.
- Eliminate Moisture: When storing your unit in a non climate controlled unit you can always stake these extra steps to keep moisture out: When storing appliances that use water, wipe the inside down with baking soda to remove any traces of water. Also, to absorb moisture in the air, place some charcoal in a pan.
- Prevent Dirt Buildup: Before storing wooden furniture, use furniture polish to repel dust and dirt. Make sure to lubricate your metal items with oil to prevent them from rusting.
- Double Check: Before you load your items into the moving truck, make sure you are not taking any unwelcome passengers with you. Give your boxes, appliances, and furniture a double check and make sure they are free of critters.
- Check Storage Unit: Make sure your storage unit does not contain any cracks or holes. If you do notice that your storage unit does contain any type of hole report it to management so they can get it repaired for you. This way you can avoid pest and insects.
We hope that all of these tips provided will help you have a pest free storage experience.