How to Make Your Pumpkin Last Longer!
Halloween is just around the corner, and it’s time to transform your pumpkin into a masterpiece! The biggest challenge year after year is how to keep jack-o-lanterns from rotting and molding before Halloween arrives. Here are some tips to help ensure that your pumpkin lasts as long as possible:
- Pick the Right Pumpkin – Choose a pumpkin that is fresh, with a sturdy stem and that has no bruises. Also make sure to find one that has a flat bottom so it does’t roll.
- Scoop Out the Pulp – When prepping your pumpkin make sure to scrape out as much as the pulp possible. The cleaner and drier of the inside of the pumpkin, the slower the rotting process will take.
- Use Bleach – Give your fresh and carved pumpkin a bleach bath. You will want to use one teaspoon of bleach per gallon of water. This is a great way to hydrate your pumpkin and also eliminate any bacteria.
- Refrigerate Pumpkin Overnight – If you live in warmer climate area it is recommended that you place carved pumpkins in fridge at night instead of keeping them on the porch. This will help to re-hydrate your pumpkin.
- Use a Fly Trap – There is no doubt that pumpkins attract fruit flies. Fruit flies will enhance the rotting process of a pumpkin therefore it is essential to keep a fly trap near by.
Let us know if you have any tips tricks you would like to share for this Halloween season.